Cryopreservation can be applied for:
- Sperm samples in cases of oligospermia or impaired sperm production
- Sections of testicular tissue following testicular biopsy, in cases of azoospermia
- Sperm samples in cases of forthcoming cancer treatment
- Oocytes (eggs) to preserve the woman’s fertility for medical or for social/ethical reasons
- Sections of ovarian tissue in case of forthcoming cancer treatment
Embryos produced through IVF can be cryopreserved. This permits embryo transfer in a future cycle, when it is indicated (e.g. in ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome).